- The Risk Testing Manager will operate as the Second Line of Defense (“SLOD”) to perform test work and validation activities to assess the control design and determine the mitigating controls’ effectiveness. This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Risk Testing in developing and executing reviews to test and validate the Banks compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations and adherence to internal policies and procedures.
- Perform SLOD testing reviews of the approved risk control framework in accordance with the Banks annual monitoring and testing plan or as directed by the Director of Risk Testing.
- Analyze and assess risks related to Accounting and Finance specific functions by validating that the controls assessed in the Risk Assessment process are working effectively and can continue to be relied upon.
- Perform an independent assessment of the design of controls, including:
- Model Governance to ensure model outputs are aligned with the Bank’s risk management and credit standards.
- Perform various types of Credit testing by assessing all documentation, including policies and procedures to test against the acceptance criteria (test attribute, contract structure, approvals) to see if the LOB follows guidelines.
- Analyze the risks in functional categories metrics of testing, defect status, and test pass/fail status, based on their relationship to risks.
- Loan Review for SBA, Retail and Local Lending – reviewing portfolio risk; loan portfolio quality, nonperforming loans, and ensure that loan modifications are properly identified as troubled debt restructurings, when applicable,
- Perform Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses (ALLL) back testing, governance testing, ensuring methodologies are appropriate and is in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Utilize various testing techniques including, inquiry, observation, review of documentation control testing, and transaction testing to identify weak or absent controls.
- Review completed Risk Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Policies & Procedures, Risk Assessments, Training, Business Unit Testing, KPI/KRI reporting to determine appropriate cadence, scope, and methods for testing
- Perform pre-planning meetings, execute test methodologies, and draw proper conclusions from the evidence gathered.
- Assess the results of risk assessments to identify heightened areas of compliance, conduct, and operational risk to monitor the risks independently and test the effectiveness of controls with the LOBs and Functional Units.
- Prepare and present written information in a clear, concise, grammatically correct, and convincing manner, providing an adequate level of support for the testing work performed and conclusions reached.
- Execute risk testing in accordance with standard second-line defense testing practices by developing and executing test plans, performing targeted transaction testing, obtaining and analyzing test data, and drafting monitoring and testing reports.
- Ensure internal controls and risks are appropriately documented and tested for the Bank and its products.
- Assist in documenting and reporting control deficiencies upon discussion with business owners, and collaborate with business owners regarding recommendations to address the root cause of issues and remedial actions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate teamwork and accountability with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with external and internal clients
- Ability to obtain, analyze, and find consensus in potentially conflicting data, points of view, objectives, and/or requirements.
- Organized and motivated/self-starter
- Knowledge of banking regulations, with a focus on BSA/AML, Fraud, GLBA, Vendor Management, Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery; Physical Security, Information Security, Deposit Operations, Finance, Lending and Credit and other regulations that measure the Safety and Soundness of the Bank.
- Understanding of bank balance sheets and general accounting principles and treasury functions
- Works effectively and independently in a team setting to assist in the implementation and execution of all aspects of the review of assignments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including via reports and presentations) and the ability to synthesize complex information
- Computer knowledge and experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, Viso, PowerPoint and
- Honesty and integrity, the ability to make the right decision when faced with an ethical dilemma.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to be used in operational evaluation and interpretation of compliance information
Required Education / Experience / License:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Accounting, Finance, Business, Statistics, Risk Management, Economics or equivalent field or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 3 years Risk Management, Internal Controls, Auditing, Credit Management, relevant line of business experience and/or legal or regulatory experience.
- Advanced analytical skill, and ability to apply and explain complex regulatory concepts. Intermediate to advanced familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Preferred Education /Experience / License:
- A Master’s degree or advanced degree or professional certifications CRMA, CIA, CISA, FRM, PRM, CRM, CERP or in related fields are desirable.
- Salaried experience in Risk Management and Testing
- 5+ years of applicable risk area experience working with a regulatory agency, regulatory or risk management consulting in a banking environment, or as a bank internal auditor.
Minimum Essential Requirements:
- Sit or stand at a computer for long periods of time and look at a computer screen for several hours a day
- Work at an assigned FinWise office location (Murray, Utah)
- Communicate with others in person, on the phone, virtual meeting and email
- Maintain confidentiality
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance
- Work overtime as assigned
- Travel overnight as required
- Work cooperatively with others
- Driving during the workday
- Comply with all company policies and procedures
Background check are required on all bank employees due to accessibility of Personally Identifiable Private Information.
FinWise is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, or disability status.
FinWise provides reasonable accommodations to the known disabilities of individuals in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. For accommodation information or if you need special accommodations to complete the application process, please contact the Department of Human Resource Management at (801) 545 – 6050.
Qualified applicants with criminal history and conviction records will be considered in accordance with legal requirements.